In order to understand what is so bad about sugar, you need to understand what it is made of.
Before sugar enters the bloodstream from the digestive tract, it is broken down into two simple sugars… glucose and fructose.
- Glucose is found in every living cell on the planet. If we don’t get it from the diet, our bodies produce it.
- Fructose is different. Our bodies do not produce it in any significant amount and there is no physiological need for it.
For people who are inactive and eat a Western diet, large amounts of fructose from added sugars get turned into fat in the liver.
Besides it’s contribution to global obesity, here are another 10 reasons to avoid sugar.Added Sugar Contains No Essential Nutrients and is Bad For Your Teeth
1. Added Sugar is High in Fructose, Which Can Overload Your Liver
2. Overloading The Liver With Fructose Can Cause Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
3. Sugar Can Cause Insulin Resistance, a Stepping Stone Towards Metabolic Syndrome and Diabetes
4. The Insulin Resistance Can Progress to Type II Diabetes
5. Sugar Can Give You Cancer
6. Due to its Effects on Hormones and the Brain, Sugar has Unique Fat-Promoting Effects
7. Because it Causes Massive Dopamine Release in The Brain, Sugar is Highly Addictive
8. Sugar is a Leading Contributor to Obesity in Both Children and Adults
9. It Ain’t The Fat… It’s SUGAR That Raises Your Cholesterol and Gives You Heart Disease
10. Added Sugar Contains No Essential Nutrients and is Bad For Your Teeth